Skip to Content

Green Card Permanent Resident Attorney in NYC

A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. Our experienced Immigration Lawyers in Manhattan at Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC have handed thousands of Green Card applications through Family, Green Card through a Job, and Green Card through Refugee or Asylee Status and other ways to Get a Green Card. The focus of our Immigration Lawyers in Manhattan is to help our non-immigrant and immigrant clients to find real solutions to any immigration situation they may have whether they are currently in the United States or abroad.

Call our Green Card Permanent Resident lawyer at (212) 258-0713 or contact us online to get started with a consultation.

What You Should Know About Green Card Through Family-based Immigration

To promote family unity, immigration law allows U.S. citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to come and live permanently in the United States. Eligible immediate relatives include the U.S. citizens:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child under the age of 21
  • Parent (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21)

Immediate Relatives (IR) have special immigration priority under the family-based category and do not have to wait in line for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate because there are an unlimited number of visas for their particular categories.

If a persons’ relationship does not qualify you as an Immediate Relative of a U.S. citizen, then she or he may be in what is called a family-preference category.


Why Choose Law Offices Of Norka M. Schell?

  • Family-Centric Approach
    Embracing a family-oriented ethos in our practice, where clients are treated with the care and respect they deserve, fostering lasting relationships built on trust.
  • Extensive Clientele Support
    Having assisted thousands of clients, we understand unique needs and offer tailored solutions for each individual or business.
  • Multilingual Expertise
    Fluency in Spanish and Portuguese to ensure seamless communication and understanding for our diverse clientele.
  • Three Decades of Excellence
    Over 30 years of dedicated legal practice, offering seasoned experience and deep-rooted knowledge.

Who Is Eligible For A Green Card Through A Family Preference Category?

  • Unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21,
  • Married child(ren) of any age, and
  • Brothers and sisters (if the U.S. citizen petitioner is over the age of 21.)

Congress has limited the number of relatives who may immigrate under these categories each year so there is usually a waiting period before an immigrant visa number becomes available. The annual quota is published monthly by the U.S. Department of State.

What Are The Requirements Which A Sponsor Must Meet In Order To Sponsor A Family Member For A Green Card?

  • The sponsor must be a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident,
  • The sponsor must have a qualifying family relationship with the immigrating alien, and
  • The sponsor must prove that he or she can financially support the family member for whom s/he is petitioning at 125% above the mandated poverty guideline.

United States citizens and permanent residents can sponsor: husband or wife, unmarried child under 21 years old, unmarried son or daughter over 21 years old, married son or daughter, brother or sister, mother or father, and parents.

* Note: Lawful Permanent Residents cannot file for their parents, married sons or daughters, or brothers and sisters.

Continue Reading Read Less

Things To Keep In Mind About Green Card or Permanent Residence:

  • Turning 21 years of age. When an immediate relative child of a U.S. citizen reaches the 21 years of age, she or he generally will become a first preference (F1) category son or daughter (over 21 years of age) of a U.S. citizen, and will no longer have a visa immediately available. This change may result in a significant delay an adjustment of status or visa processing because she or he will now need to wait for an immigrant visa number -under the category- to become available before an application can be filed.
  • Child Status Protection Act. In certain cases, the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) may allow a person to retain the classification of as a “child” even if she or he has reached the age of 21. Generally, the age is frozen as of the date the U.S. citizen parent files a petition for alien relative for the child.
  • Getting Married. If an immediate relative child under age 21 gets married, he or she can no longer be classified as an Immediate Relative (IR) and will become a third preference (F3) category – married son or daughter of a U.S. citizen – and a visa number would no longer be immediately available.

Whether a person wants to sponsor a Family-based immigration, or a key Employee through Employment-based immigration, or apply for a Refugee or Asylee Status, the Immigration Lawyers in Manhattan at the Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC can help and represent you. 

If you would like to schedule your personal and confidential consultation our experienced Manhattan Immigration Lawyers, please contact us at (212) 258-0713


Our Satisfied Clients

  • "Expert Legal Guidance And Support"

    ?Thank you so much for helping the Military Assistance Program! Our service members and their families rest easier knowing they have your expert legal guidance and support. We appreciate all that you do!

    - Eric L.
  • "Remarkably Quick"
    The process has been remarkably quick, and I appreciate the efficiency and professionalism demonstrated throughout. The communication has been excellent, with clear guidance every step of the way.
    - Togar M.
  • "Renewed Sense Of Confidence"
    During my consultation Norka demonstrated care and as a client that was very important to me.Well let’s say I leave her office with a renewed sense of confidence and Trust, she explained how we will work together as a team and I sincerely appreciate
    - Simeon
  • "Your Actions Provided Me A New Life"
    Thank you for your excellent professional. Your actions provided me a new life when you got me at the jail and helped me get my green card.
    - Wilfredo T.
  • "Confident, Forthright and Honest"

    She believes in her ability to do what she does best and this gives us peace of mind knowing that we have someone like her seeking every way to get us the results that both parties are expecting. We would highly recommend her to anyone who is in need of

    - Ramesh
  • "Efficient And Effective"
    She is efficient and effective in everything she does with immigration because she knows how delicate is with the USCIS. She got me out of the immigration facility and gave me another life in my adopted country the United States. That is hard work for me.
    - Lewis B.
  • "O meu green card chegou!"

    O meu green card chegou na última quinta feira,  agradeço você, Dra. Schell por tudo que fez e  graças  DEUS  deu tudo certo.

    - Orbrigado
  • "Committed & Punctual"

    Norka is a great lawyer, and she’s doing an excellent job for me and my family. I commend her work. can trust she is very committed and punctual in everything she does. and does his job with much love and dedication!

    - Anonymous
  • Our Areas of Practice
    Our firm is dedicated to family law. See how we can help!
  • Get Started Today
    The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can start your case.
  • Meet the Team
    Get to know our family law firm and see how we can help!
  • Our Testimonials
    Check out what past clients have said about working with our firm.

Contact Law Offices Of Norka M. Schell Today!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy