Did you know

An Applicant may also lose his or her permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. 

An Applicant may be found to have abandoned his or her status if he or she:

  • Moves to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remains outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
  • The reason for his or her trip;
  • How long he or she intended to be absent from the United States;
  • Any other circumstances of his or her absence; and
  • Any events that may have prolonged his or her absence.
  • Fails to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declares himself or herself a “nonimmigrant” on his or her U.S. tax returns. 

Get the Applicant’s Green Card Back

  • If the Applicant is outside the U.S. for more than one year, the application process involves filing State Department Form DS-117, available at the DOS website, at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and paying the filing fees. 
  • Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status, Form I-407, is used by lawful permanent residents who are outside the United States or at a Port of Entry who want to abandon their LPR status.



17 State Street, Suite 4000

New York, NY 10004

Tel. (212) 258-0713