In cases of divorce planning or child custody, family is at the heart of the dispute. It is all too easy to feel alone and overwhelmed during such a difficult time.
The family court deals primarily with the problems of children and their families. The court hears cases involving:
- abuse and neglect of children
- custody and rights to visit children
- family offenses including abuse of spouses and other family members
- children who may have committed crimes (Juvenile Delinquency)
- children who are not charged with crimes but who may need supervision, treatment, or placement (PINS)
- support of children, spouses and ex-spouses
- planning for children who have been in foster care for a year or longer
- termination of parental rights
In all child support proceedings in New York, child support is financial support provided by the noncustodial parent. Child support includes:
- Cash payments (based on the parent’s income and the needs of the child)
- Health insurance for the child (medical support)
- Payments for child care, and
- Payments for reasonable health care costs that are not covered by health insurance.
Any parent, guardian, caretaker of a child, or child who needs support can apply for child support services.
In custody proceedings in New York, the main concern for the court in awarding custody is the “best interest of the child.” The “best interest of the child” test means that the courts are required to balance the ability of each parent to meet the needs of the child or children.
Working with the right lawyer can make the Child Support and Child Custody processes less stressful. Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC, we understand what you are going through, and we are ready to help. The Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC’s family lawyers will guide you through all aspects of your family law case. Be assured that our top priorities are ensuring your well-being and the well-being of your children.
If you ourself facing divorce or other family law issues, please contact Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC at (212) 258-0713 to schedule an appointment with an experienced New York divorce attorney.