Manhattan Naturalization & Citizenship Lawyer

Welcome to the United States. A guide for New Immigrants. Norka M. Schell is an aggressive immigration lawyer with an extensive experience in representing clients in their Naturalization and U.S.Citizen processes. If you are currently a Lawful Permanent Resident for a certain period of time, you should seriously consider to become a U.S. citizen. Citizenship offers you more security than permanent resident status and guarantees yours permanent rights to remain part of the U.S. society.

What Should You Should Know?​

Naturalization is a legal process in which a person not born in the United States (noncitizen) voluntarily becomes a U.S. citizen.

What Are the Benefits and Responsibilities of Citizenship?

  • The U.S. Constitution and laws of the United States give many rights to both citizens and non-citizens living in the United States. However, some rights are only for U.S. citizens, such as:
  • VOTING. Only U.S. citizens can vote in Federal elections. Most States also restrict the right to vote, in most elections, to U.S. citizens.
  • BRINGING FAMILY MEMBERS TO THE UNITED STATES. Citizens generally get priority when petitioning to bring family members permanently to this country.
  • OBTAINING CITIZENSHIP FOR CHILDREN BORN ABROAD. In most cases, a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen is automatically a U.S. citizen.
  • TRAVELING WITH A U.S. PASSPORT. A U.S. passport allows you to get assistance from the U.S. government when overseas.
  • BECOMING ELIGIBLE FOR FEDERAL JOBS. Most jobs with government agencies require U.S. citizenship.
  • BECOMING AN ELECTED OFFICIAL. Many elected offices in this country require U.S. citizenship.

Why should I become a U.S. citizen, I have a green card? 

Because citizenship offers more security than permanent resident status, which can be lost or revoked, and thus guarantee the permanent rights to remain part of the U.S. society.  Green-card holders who are convicted of certain crimes can be deported; noncitizens may also lose their green car if they spend substantial periods outside of the country and are deemed by U.S. authorities to be abandoned their permanent residence. Also, noncitizens can be removed from the United States for failing to advise United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of a change of address within ten days of moving. In the past, USCIS almost never did anything about this. However, with increased security concerns, USCIS has begun using this rule against people it wishes to remove from the United States.

To become a U.S. citizen it might be a good option for you and your family. If you would like to consult with us about your eligibility to become a U.S. citizen or any immigration matter, call the experienced Manhattan Lawyers at the Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC at  (212) 258-0713 or (973) 621-9300  to schedule your personal  and confidential consultation with our  Naturalization and Citizenship Manhattan Lawyer. We are ready to help.