Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Immigrating to the United States is a complicated process. As New York Immigration lawyers, we work to simplify that process and help you move easily through the U.S. employment-based immigration system.​ Attorney Norka M. Schell at the Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC is an aggressive immigration attorney with extensive employment-based immigration experience including successfully filing for Employment Authorization for foreigners.

What You Should Know​

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) is also known as a work permit. The employment authorization document is issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and is issued to show your legal right to work in the United States. EAD is also a photo identification card that certain nonimmigrants (foreign-born persons with a temporary right to be in the United States) may apply for in order to show employers evidence of their right or approval to work.

Generally the EAD is issued in the form of a credit card sized plastic card. This employment authorization document card comes enhanced with multiple security coding which cannot be duplicated. The employment authorization document will provide information about your name, birth date, sex, immigrant category, country of birth, photo, alien registration number, card number, term and conditions of care restrictions and valid date.

Who Should File Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization?

If you are not a US citizen or a lawful permanent resident, you may need to apply for an EAD to prove you may work in the United States. The specific categories that require an EAD include (but are not limited to)

  • asylees and asylum seekers;
  • refugees;
  • students seeking particular types of employment;
  • adjust of status applicants;
  • temporary protected status applicants;
  • fiancés and spouses of American citizens;
  • dependents of foreign government officials;
  • J-2 spouse or minor child of an Exchange Visitor;
  • spouse of an E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader or Investor;
  • spouse of an L-1 Intra-company Transferee.

Contact the Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC today to discuss your eligibility for working in the United States and your possibility for obtaining an Employment Authorization Document. When you choose the Law Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC you gain an advisor that will be as dedicated to your success as your are.